Clubhouse of Lehigh County first opened its doors in February 1999 under the auspice of a collaboration of Good Shepherd, Haven House and The Conference of Churches. Until a permanent residence could be found, the clubhouse set up house in the basement of Dubb’s United Church of Christ.
Though the membership grew to a total of 53 that first year, the collaboration proved to be impractical and a deterrent to the growth of the clubhouse. As a result, it was disbanded and the Lehigh County Office of Mental health reissued a contract to Good Shepherd Work Services, making it the sole auspice of our clubhouse.
On April 25, 2000, Clubhouse of Lehigh County reopened at the Dubbs United Church of Christ. With this, Good Shepherd proceeded to complete the renovations on a property at 1437 Gordon Street. On January 29, 2001, staff and membership proudly took residence in our permanent house. By the time of our official Open House celebration in May 2001, membership had grown to 100.
With our reopening came a re-dedication to the Clubhouse model and an unstoppable commitment to be the very best. With the full support of Good Shepherd Work Services and the Lehigh County Office of Mental Health, Clubhouse of Lehigh County views this self-study as a major step toward our growth and accomplishment of our goals.
Our Important Milestones
- 01/99 – Clubhouse sends 2 staff and 1 member to Colleague at Fountain House in NYC
- 02/99 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County opens in the basement of Dubb’s United Church of Christ
- 04/99 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County becomes a member of the Pennsylvania Clubhouse Coalition and since then has been very involved in the PCC (members and staff have served as officers and training instructors
- 12/99 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County temporarily closes its doors and Good Shepherd Work Services becomes sole administrator of the program
- 04/00 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County reopens at Dubb’s United Church of Christ
- 01/01 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County moves to its present location (1437 W. Gordon St.)
- 04/01 – Our first transitional employment (TE) site at The Re-Place is established with 3 TE positions
- 11/01 – Our newly formed Advisory Boards meets for the first time
- 10/02 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County wins the Properties of Merit Award
- 02/03 – Our first contract with the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation is approved.
- 01/04 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County receives its first certification
- 10/06 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County receives a 3 year provisional certification
- 02/09 – Clubhouse begins a yearlong celebration of its 10 year anniversary
- 07/09 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County receives a 3 year certification
- 10/11 – Clubhouse staff and members attend Employment Summit in Washington DC
- 07/12 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County becomes part of Goodwill Keystone Area
- 03/13 – Clubhouse of Lehigh County receives another 3 year certification
- 8/16 The Clubhouse now supports over 1400 members