Clubhouse of Lehigh County first opened its doors in February 1999 under the auspice of a collaboration of Good Shepherd, Haven House and The Conference of Churches. Until a permanent residence could be found, the clubhouse set up house in the basement of Dubb’s United Church of Christ.
Though the membership grew to a total of 53 that first year, the collaboration proved to be impractical and a deterrent to the growth of the clubhouse. As a result, it was disbanded and the Lehigh County Office of Mental health reissued a contract to Good Shepherd Work Services, making it the sole auspice of our clubhouse.
On April 25, 2000, Clubhouse of Lehigh County reopened at the Dubbs United Church of Christ. With this, Good Shepherd proceeded to complete the renovations on a property at 1437 Gordon Street. On January 29, 2001, staff and membership proudly took residence in our permanent house. By the time of our official Open House celebration in May 2001, membership had grown to 100.
With our reopening came a re-dedication to the Clubhouse model and an unstoppable commitment to be the very best. With the full support of Good Shepherd Work Services and the Lehigh County Office of Mental Health, Clubhouse of Lehigh County views this self-study as a major step toward our growth and accomplishment of our goals.